Saturday, September 18, 2010

Oasis and GPS nerds

The ship I'm on is the Norwegian EPIC. It is the newest and most expensive ship (to build), and the second largest ship at sea. Which ship is the biggest ship at sea? Royal Caribbean's OASIS. Look, the EPIC is huge and I always imagined the OASIS to be just a bit bigger. I mean, how much bigger can a ship be? Well last Tuesday we were in port (St. Maarten) with the OASIS beast. It is honestly a breathtaking sight. I don't even care about cruise ships but the OASIS is something special. We were parked right next to it so it was easy to see just how much bigger the OASIS is than the EPIC. Robyn said that this was the worst thing that could have happened for NCL. Their EPIC looked smaller and boxy and just uglier. At our show that night, Cody asked the audience if they had experienced "ship envy", everybody laughed.

Side by side. I obviously couldn't get both ships in frame.

There is a "Central Park" in this thing and repelling from one side of the ship to the other! I also heard the ship has three crew bars but less crew!


While in St. Thomas on Wednesday a man came up to me and asked me to take a picture of him sitting on bench. I did and he thanked me and then said that I must think he's weird for wanting that picture taken. I said no, that I work on a ship and am used to taking pictures for others. He said, "I'm Geocaching today." he explained to me that he and a bunch of "GPS nerds" play a treasure hunt game that takes place all over the world. By going online and looking up GPS coordinates and reading up on clues for certain locations you can find planted treasures all over the world. He pointed to the bottom of a light pole and said, "I found what I was looking for under there." I said, "Wow, what a hiding spot!" he said, "No, light poles are pretty common" and then he smiled and walked away. When I finished up with my reading about 20 minutes later, I decided to peek under the light pole. I found a film container with a note in a plastic baggy. The note had been printed from a computer and explained what Geocaching was and asked that whoever found this write their name and date on it. There was only one other name besides the older man's name. Weird? Fun? Interesting.

The treasure.
The light pole.
Under the light pole.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment